Friday, September 21, 2012

China Glaze Medallion

Happy Friday everyone!! I've had these photos kicking around for the last few weeks, and with all of the posts on the Zoya Guilty Pleasures set I decided it was time to post this. First off, I'm not a huge fan of gold nail polish or gold glitter but I was in Sephora a few weeks ago and tried the Sephora by OPI 18k gold top coat and instantly fell in love. I couldn't bring myself to spend $30 on it, so I came home and decided to look through my stash. I figured I could find something to fill the void.

I pulled out China Glaze Medallion which I had bought during one of my first trips to 8ty8 Beauty. It has been sitting in my stash, untried, for about 1.5-2 years. I layered one coat over Misa Dirty Sexy Money and fell in love. Obviously it's not a dupe for the 18k gold top coat but the price is fair and friendly. I scored this beauty for $3.88. Medallion has small gold glitter and holographic glitter in a clear base.

I have two coats of Medallion on my pointer finger and one coat of Medallion on the remaining nails.


 
 
Is it exact to any of the gold flake top coats? Nope. Does it work for me and my wallet? Sure does.  :)

What do you guys think? Will any of you be purchasing the new 18k gold top coats that are coming out (by OPI and Zoya), or does anyone own the Sephora by OPI polish?


11 comments:

  1. This combo is super gorgeous! I am not a gold fan either, but this is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS! I love gold and green together. I can't wait to get my hands on a gold top coat, I'm holding out for the OPI one =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I have Nyx Gilded Glitter, which is similar to the 18k gold top coat, but I can only use it over dark colors, because of the tinted base :S. I'm thinking about picking up American Apparel Meteor Shower. You might look into that one- it's only $6!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a deeper version of BL Two Finger Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though I'm not a huge gold fan, I really love this and I have been thinking about getting a gold glitter. It looks great with jewel-toned polishes, which are awesome for fall. Thanks for showing the wallet-friendly version of gold glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gads - I did not even look at the price on the OPI for Sephora 18k - it was nothing that rocked my socks off when I tried it while out of town this summer and hit a Sephora store - I figured I had plenty of gold glitters and I don't believe things really have any true gold in them...if they do, it's a bi product only from some manufacturing process that gives up a mix of gold dust...that's the deal with the diamond in OPI's DS series and maybe in a few others..I am interested to see the 18K by OPI and Zoya - the OPI looks like it's going to be real flakes that lay on the nail in true flake form. Not sure the Zoya one is anything more than a mid size glitter...and I don't want the white or the black that you have to buy to get the Zoya one. That is bogus - I don't like to be forced to buy a collection to get one I want. But unlike you, I am not a huge gold fan anyway. I have some gold glitters from ChG - the 2 that Essie has out for quite some time now (one called Gold Nuggets released long before the company was bought by L'Oreal). So unless one of these is like I said flakes, not going to get a nibble from me. Agree with the commenter above - the one I have seen in blog photos from American Apparel is a nice looking one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're all too spendy for me, so I like your solution almost as much as I like that manicure on you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! Now I need to wear my Medallion as a full manicure one day. I usually use it as an accent nail or in a gradient.

    ReplyDelete